Sunday, May 13, 2007

Words To Live By



I've recently been reminded of some famous quotes reminding us about our behavior. It's always hard to realize that we cannot control other people, and I have learned that those who consider themselves "Dominant" find it inconceivable that they ultimately have no control over someone else. In fact, only each individual may control themselves. The fact that I yield myself to Master is my choice, and mine alone.

I used to think that with age and experience people come to learn that the world is not "black and white" but instead is "shades of gray". Alas, age and experience have turned out to be un-related to wisdom. I am, however, amazed that there are still people who believe they have the right to verbally abuse another person. Having survived an abusive upbringing and marriage, I find myself unwilling to submit to such behavior on the part of another person. Master doesn't abuse me, what would make someone else think they could succeed at such behavior?

I also must say, that those who set themselves up to be so-called experts in a field, be it as a painter, cook, or something Lifestyle related such as a Master, are under a much stricter standard of behavior. If they expect members of a group or community to respect them, their thoughts, or the words they utter, the 'experts' do not have the luxury of verbally abusing the members. Nor do they have control of the behavior of any of those members. You may only control your own behavior. My experience with those who are truly Dominant people is that they have greater control over themselves. This includes their actions, their emotions, and their words.

In any event, some of the quotes that came to my mind are:

The trouble with talking too fast is you may say something you haven't thought of yet. ~Ann Landers

It is better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and resolve all doubt. ~Abraham Lincoln

Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret. ~Ambrose Bierce

Once a word has been allowed to escape, it cannot be recalled. ~Horace

Man does not live by words alone, despite the fact that sometimes he has to eat them. ~Adlai Stevenson
.
Keep your words soft and tender because tomorrow you may have to eat them. ~Author Unknown

By swallowing evil words unsaid, no one has ever harmed his stomach. ~Winston Churchill

Basically - you can't take words back, and you may have to eat your words. So be nice, or leave.


.


.


.


No comments:

Post a Comment