Monday, March 10, 2008

Parable of the Day


TAKE DOWN the FEEDER!
.

I bought a bird feeder.

I hung it on my back porch

and filled it lovingly with seed.

It was indeed a beautiful bird feeder.
.

Within a week we had hundreds of birds

taking advantage of the continuous flow of free

and easily accessible food.
.

But then the birds started building nests

in the boards of the patio,

above the table, and next to the barbecue.
.

Then came the bird shit.

It was everywhere;

on the patio tile, the chairs,

the table ... everywhere!
.

Then some of the birds turned mean.

They would dive bomb me and try to peck me

even though I had fed them out of my own pocket.
.

And other birds were boisterous and loud.

They sat on the feeder and squawked and screamed

at all hours of the day and night and

demanded that I fill it when it got low on food.
.

After a while, I couldn't even sit

on my own back porch anymore.

So I took down the bird feeder

and in three days the birds were gone.
.

I cleaned up their mess and took down

the many nests they had built all over the patio.
.
Soon, the back yard was like it used to be ... quiet,

serene and no one demanding their rights to a free meal.

.

Sometimes we need to take down the feeders in our own worlds in order to be able to live in peace and health. If it doesn't work for you, no matter how good your intentions were when you put it up, then take the feeder down.

:)


1 comment:

  1. OMG! So true! The best intentions can be detrimental to our well-being in the end!

    My promise to myself... I'm taking down my "feeder" this weekend.

    ReplyDelete