Thursday, April 15, 2010

One Tribe

One of my fav groups, The Black Eyed Peas, sing a song called One Tribe, that really resonates with me. The song talks about how we are all connected, all one tribe, and that our differences don't matter. It focuses mainly on racial differences as you would imagine, but I think all the other differences which separate and divide us are easily included in this message.

In the "Lifestyle" Community, we are always rife with intolerance and narrow minded-ness, which, I must confess, has always surprised me greatly. The outside world (vanilla we often call them) are frequently very harsh and intolerant of WIITWD. So why would we be harsh toward one another? I would have thought that being misunderstood by others would help us all to band together. Silly me.

As it turns out, that really is just human nature, no matter where we are. I remain hopeful that love and tolerance and unity will rule the day, even as I've shed some of my naivete and realize that there will most likely always be the nasty boogers among us. Perhaps they are in the world to test us and help us grow. But really, haven't I grown enough? I don't really want to grow anymore.

;)

.

2 comments:

  1. I too have been surprised over the years at how a community who itself often has to deal with the intolerance of others isn't more tolerant itself. Like you say, maybe its just part of human nature.

    There's a saying about being the change you want to see in the world. I think there are a lot of us who at least try to embody that whenever we can. Maybe one step at a time we can sow the seeds of love and tolerance more widely.

    love and hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, there are quite a lot of us who do make the effort "let it begin with me."

    I think we've found quite a few kindred souls here together in this bloggy place, something I'm always grateful for.

    ReplyDelete