Thursday, December 25, 2008

Only Believe

I don't know why I had a revelation recently about my childhood Christmas experiences, but a revelation I did have. You see, I am significantly younger than my 3 siblings - enough that in official Birth Order speak I am considered an "only child" before "youngest". And for some reason it all of a sudden dawned on me that those older siblings pretended about Santa for many years, in order that I could have the childhood fantasy of Santa.

They didn't just talk about Santa, or refrain from spilling the beans, they created elaborate stories and scenes and scenarios to help me believe. I recall the middle of the night huddles listening to them whispering about hearing hooves on the roof.

This really was a gift from them, because being the youngest when they are so much older did help me to grow up before my time in many ways. I missed out on some of the things that little kids blissfully, and naively enjoy, and went straight to maturity - do not pass go, do not collect $200 - style. So this realization about their willingness to go along with it all and even go out of their way to give me the fantasy is quite special.

..

3 comments:

  1. that was sweet! What a great memory!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that really is wonderful! Master's older children do that for our younger set too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As Princess said .. His oldest do that for the little ones. It is nice, every child needs that :) Its fun for them.

    Glad things went well for you.


    And yes about your comment - I am young :) Legal lol but young none the less :)

    ReplyDelete