Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Perspective

This afternoon was all about trying to figure out how to get home from work. There was an incident on I-95 which shut down the highway and sent all traffic onto the surrounding roads. And since that's where I live, it suddenly became impossible to get "there" from "here".
.
Besides trying to get home from work there were appointments scheduled and things to do for my recuperating Mom (who lives on the OTHER side of 95 and it's parallel roads - and I just couldn't get there from here!)
.
So the appointments were rescheduled and Mom too. And yes, it was all a huge inconvenience. But I can't get too stressed about the situation, because I'm alive, Sir is alive, my son is alive, I'm not laying in a morgue, cold and lifeless, nor am I having to cope with the loss of a member of my family. And that's just what the people surrounding the incident on the highway are doing right now, trying to pick up the pieces and go on. Through no fault of their own, their loved one won't be coming home, because their loved one went to work this morning as a highway worker and didn't live through the day.
.
Just puts all our troubles into sharp relief - we're alive, everything else can be dealt with, lived through, handled, and moved on from. No matter how terrible we might think our lives are, we can still fix things, change ourselves, and make things right. But the 37 year old man who died on I-95 today can't.
.
My thoughts and prayers to the family of the victim.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment