Sunday, November 30, 2008

I Love To Read


If you've been reading me for any amount of time you'll know that I love to read, and share about some of the books I'm reading. (Here, Here, and Here to name just a few.)


A few minutes ago I was reading my friend's blog, and naturally decided to participate in the meme myself. That means picking up the book closest to me (I'm a good girl and try to always follow directions.) Wednesday night I picked up a new book from my favorite bookstore (Barnes & Noble) and it's sitting on my nightstand, although I haven't begun reading it yet.


So here goes. :)


First, here are the directions for the meme:

  1. Grab the nearest book.
  2. Open the book to page 56.
  3. Find the fifth sentence.
  4. Post the text of the next seven sentences in your journal along with these instructions.
  5. Don’t dig for your favorite book, the cool book, or the intellectual one: pick the CLOSEST.

And now, what happened when I did it:


"Off the Menu" by Christine Son


"I could set you up with someone, if you're interested," he said. "There's a buddy of mine who I think would be great for you."

"Please," she said, rolling her eyes in the darkness, "spare me the pity. Besides, who said that I was even looking? I've got my restaurants to worry about. Dragonfly is busier than ever, and construction's keeping me up all night at Dragonfly Deux."

"Is that what you're calling it? Dragonfly Deux?"



I guess technically that's 8 not 7, but it didn't seem right to cut it off. I haven't read the book yet, and so I'm not sure what they're talking about exactly, but I do serve approximately 2400 meals per day in my 3 food service establishments, so I'm looking forward to getting more into this. And, too, you may have noticed, my Sir and I have a thing for Dragonflies, so that intrigues me as well.


Also, I decided to buy the book in the first place because of the dragonfly on the front cover *giggle*, and reading this note on the back cover: "Off the Menu is filled with characters who will resonate with anyone who has struggled to balance pleasing others with following a dream." (That was written by Tasha Alexander, author of "And Only To Deceive" and "A Fatal Waltz".


I often think most of life is about looking for that balance. We are often told that we should follow our dreams, and yet we are also told to play nice, don't be selfish, think of others. So walk the tightrope we must.


So, now you know what I'm about to read, and this was the book closest to me.


How about you? What are you reading?

3 comments:

  1. 'Send Down A Dove' By Charles MacHardy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing!

    I hope you're enjoying the book, and that it proves to be a good read. My Sir also enjoys books about wars and military and stuff like that. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a very good book indeed, no romanticising the subject matter at all. Quite unusual really.

    ReplyDelete