Thursday, February 28, 2008

Mom And Me

Mom's surgery was this past Monday. 6 days after my pneumonia diagnosis. I kept falling asleep at the hospital, and was generally all-around miserable, but then again I had it easy compared to Mom. She did great, the surgeon said the procedure went well, he was pleased. She had some trouble coming out of the anesthesia, but all in all she's doing well now, is in the In-Patient therapy place, and is making good progress. A few weeks there and I think they'll send her home.

In the meantime, I've definitely over-done and have paid the price. Yes, I'm breathing better, the antibiotic worked on the infection, and my breathing is much better. Today was my last dose of the super-drug, and as long as my breathing remains good in the coming days then fine, otherwise it will be back to the Dr to ask for more drugs.

But the fatigue is monstrous. And I understand it takes quite awhile before that part goes away. I wake up in the morning feeling mostly OK, but by the end of my workday (even before the end) I'm just done-in. But instead of coming home to rest it's off to the hospital, and then some other errands if needed. There's simply too much demanding my time and attention and energy right now, and I have nothing to give. The bucket is completely devoid of sand. And I don't know where to get more sand to put in it.

I do so appreciate the dear friends who were willing to be part of my grumpy-bitchy-stir-craziness while confined to the bed last week. The Dr put me out of work for 3 days, and while in some ways that was NOT enough time to recover from pneumonia, in other ways it's just as well I'm not stuck in this house. I even found a way to impose my ickiness on friends "virtually". But to my defense, they didn't HAVE to respond to the IM's of grump I was sending! lol

Anyway, I'm slowly improving, don't look for me at many social activities any time soon though. Mom seems to be doing beautifully, so far. And that's all I can ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment